Sunday, September 4, 2011

Decisions, Decisions ...

I finally finished playing Fallout: New Vegas.  I actually completed the game's story about a month ago.  But I have now played all of the multiple endings following the different factions.  Now that its all said and done, I will have to pick which save file to continue on with the dlc.  How am I suppose to chose?  Warning: There are things discussed below that are spoilers.  If you don't want to know, stop reading now.


.
.
.
.
.... Okay.

This type of decision comes back to a discussion that Linz and I have had several times.  The conversation always revolves around playing as a good guy or a bad guy.  Fighting alongside Caesar's Legion will certainly put you in the negative karma column.  

But the other factions aren't quite so straight forward.  If I fight with Yes Man, New Vegas will essentially remain free and I will have some control.  I think this is great because, hey, I'm an honest courier of the wasteland.  I could do great things.  But my power is limited and that which remains goes to the type of people who would be interested in running a town like Vegas.

I can play alongside the NCR.  Why not?  Being a company man has it's advantages.  They aren't ruthless thugs or commit horrifying crimes.  But who wants to be involved in the slow government take over of everything and everyone?  Definitely not me.  

I could split the line on moral decency and allowed Mr. House to remain in control.  His watchful and aggressive nature keeping things in pleasant order.  Sure, New Vegas would do great, but what about everywhere else?  Am I mentally strong enough to sacrifice the needs of many for the gluttonous pleasures of a few ?  No, I am not.

Even though the game is over, I still have to make a lot of tough decisions.  I now have the luxury of seeing the end results and wishes of each faction.  But once I choose, I will have to live with the consequences.  This is one of those instances where I have to step back from a game and remind myself that its just a game.  No real life decisions are being made and I'm going to be okay no matter what happens.  The only thing that can stress me now is trying to force myself to wait long enough for all the dlc to come out and be bundled/discounted.  I can spring on it like a tiger crouched in the grass observing its prey.

This is a more accurate depiction of my hunting style.

No comments: