Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Unbelievable Achievements

Ok...I'll preface this by saying I'm not proud*... but I did use my 3 year old daughter, K,  to get an achievement on an XBLA game.

 Yes, it was Feeding Frenzy.  And not even the second one...the original.  We downloaded this game probably 2 years ago, and it has since been one of my daughter's favorites.  She loves it.  I can't say that I haven't logged some time playing it too - it's great for mindlessly passing the time.  But it's only great for that for about...10 minutes.  Then it's boring.  The game is exactly the same, over and over, for about 40 levels.  I'd say at your speediest you could beat each level in 1-2 minutes, but that would be pretty impressive.  So, this game, all together, could rate about 2 hours out of your life to beat it in it's entirety.

SO of course it makes sense that two of the achievements are Play for 10 Hours and 40,000 Fish in the Fish Bank.  After years of K playing this game fairly regularly, we finally finally hit the 10 hour mark.  I could not believe it.  That is how exciting this game is: after just an hour you feel like you probably deserve the 10 hour achievement, but you won't get it...you won't get it until 2 years later.  And on top of that - our fish bank only has 21,000 or so fish in it.  So you're telling me this game wants another 10 hours of my life!?  For 10 gamerscore!? This is just too much to bear

I'd like to know how developers decide the requirements for their achievements, and the amount of GS you are awarded for getting it.  I really don't think a game that cost me 400 Microsoft Points and is pretty boring should ask for 20 hours of my life to 100%.  And yes, I really am complaining about this because I want to be a completionist and finish this thing.  Good thing I have K around to help me through the time grind.  And when she's bored with it, the 1 year old should be about ready to log in her hours.  :-D


*Note: I actually am kind of proud.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

The amount of truth you speak is seriously shocking. Im not proud of the things Ive done for achievements, but ive done them anyways.