Thursday, June 24, 2010

Play With Yourself, It's Okay, We Won't Tell

Lindsey and I are definitely both social gamers. I have spent a lot of my game time playing online mulitplayers and co-ops. But sometimes, multiplayer gaming can be complicated. Just like real life, your online friends can wear you out. There can be drama, annoyance, and sometimes you just get bored of each other. When I'm feeling a little socially overwhelmed on XBL or anywhere else, I go back to my roots. I play a straight up solo game.

After having spent so much time playing online, I almost doubted my abilities to game without the communication of a team. But once I loaded up my first game, there wasn't any question in my mind that this was the gaming break that i needed. There is something really satisfying about completing a game on your own.

Some games that I recommend to help get back in your solo gaming grove is probably one you are already playing. If you have a favorite multiplayer or co-op, check out the solo campaign attached. They are usually pretty short and can have their difficulty settings dropped to embarrassingly easy. And because people are so focused on the online feature, the story is sometimes forgotten. Plus, there are always lots of delicious achievements and trophies to be had.

One-player games to keep an eye out for would Metroid, Zelda, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mario, and really any solo staple for any platform. Take this opportunity and go to your local game shop. They usually have an abundance of nerds just dying to give you their opinion of a classic game to try. In addition, used games are so incredibly cheap these days, you can get a game that is only a couple years old and pay less than ten dollars for it.

Its also a great way to try a new game type. I am horrible at driving games, but I will totally buy an old Forza for $15. RPGs might not be for you, but maybe if you try some Oblivion or maybe Fallout 3. They could change your mind on the genre. Just want to shoot some bitches up ? Score yourself an old copy of Medal of Honor or Splinter Cell. Sometimes we are so sure that we hate a game type, we don't even touch it for years. But this could be a great opportunity to try something different. The changes that happen from year to year are intense and detailed no matter what genre. The reasons you used to hate it before could be long gone by now.

As a last resort, you might be in need of some good ol' gaming detox. Hide the controller, unplug the console, take the batteries out of your mic. I never want to go without games for a week, but I'm usually pretty glad that I did by the end. It's good to get outside and remember that there are things in the world other than video games. I love gaming and it takes up huge chunks of my life. I'm okay with that. But sometimes, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

So don't get discouraged if you find yourself in an online gaming rut. Relax, play a solo campaign. And remember what got you started in the first place. There is nothing greater than toppling a boss. And a dramatic thanks to Jordan for the blog idea. He recommended that I go play with myself, and this is what he got. Joke is on you sir, joke is on you.

2 comments:

Linz said...

I love this blog! But I am here to say - the gaming detox can only last so long. I'm dying over here!

Jordan said...

Well played Debbie well played. I will have to play with myself more often lol