A good friend posed the question, "What are your top 3 games? Two separate lists, single player & multi?"
This has turned out to be an incredibly hard question! I mean, when you have played like a billion games it's hard to narrow it down. Also I wanted to have list up list -- top 3 single old gen consoles, top 3 single handheld, top 3 multi pc.... I mean, you could list and list and list and, eventually, list everything you've ever played. I don't think this is quite the idea behind the question.
So I ended up with (in no particular order) --
1. Mario Galaxy is the most fun, cleanest 3D entry in the Mario lineup. And I think the open games are more fun than the platformers for a long-term relationship. Yes, I still go back to Super Mario Bros and love running from left to right with a few well timed jumps, but I can spend hours and hours lost in the worlds of Galaxy.
2. Harvest Moon (series) Again, a game where I have lost many an hour. It is so surprisingly fun to tend a virtual farm. Raise virtual farm animals. Spend virtual days watering your huge fields. Finally - harvest time. Ahh, 3 bushels of apples. It was worth it.
3. Final Fantasy VII - Honestly FF7 is one of the first games I really got into when I started gaming again around my sophomore year in high school. And it is a big one! I mean, who doesn't have fond memories of FF7? If you just answered "I don't" then get yourself a copy and play right now. It will make you so addicted to RPG you will never let it go.
1. Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl - Oh man, the game that made me buy a Gamecube. Melee - I played and played you on that fateful game filled trip to Colorado so long ago. And your little brother, Brawl? So much fun. Melee wins out on true multi-player prowess, but Brawl had to put its foot in because it offered so much single player fun. Yes I know that doesn't make it a contender in multi, but it is basically the same game, so it deserves to be here.
2. Halo 3 - The game that made me love the 360? The game that thousands of people are logged in to every single night? At this moment, 1:04 am on a Wednesday morning, there are 93,273 people logged in. There is a certain level of commitment you feel with this game. First you learn to play. Then you have to get all the skulls, and assorted achievements. Then you have to hone your skills so that you can pwn p00bz forevahhhhh online. This game is hugely the reason I had to buy my Xbox Live account. I love it.
3. Mario Party (series) - What happened in college? I became Queen of 30 second mini-games, thanks fully to Mario Party. It all started with Mario Party 4 which a boyfriend-at-the-time and I rented and only played for about 20 minutes before the fire alarm went off! Blasted dorm rooms. But it was love at first rapid-A-button-tap. I still don't own Mario Party 4, it has been my elusive lover, refusing to be pinned down...but I have voraciously purchased 5, 6, 7, and 8. This game is amazing. If you have friends over, it is perfect. You look especially ridiculous playing this on the Wii, which makes it extra fun.
What's your list?